No calcium supplements 24 to 48 hrs before Dexascan

Waiting to have mammograms, ultrasounds, MRI's, biopsy's can be nerve racking!
wisegnome3
Forum Moderator

No calcium supplements 24 to 48 hrs before Dexascan

Postby wisegnome3 » 27pm28America/New_York()

This is so goofy--- Not to say I'm rooting for osteopenia, but, my Oncologist is able to give me Zometa based on that Dx and the insurance pays........ And that or osteoporosis is the only way my insurance and most others will pay without Metastatic breast cancer.
So I'm waiting three weeks for this appointment which the radiologist personally
calls me to confirm.
I get a bad stomach the night before (am already taking Protonix), and without thinking I pop a Rolaids without thinking.......... :roll:
Here I don't take the Calcium supplement and pop a Rolaids...........
Now I have to wait another three weeks...........Urrrrgh
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Diagnosed With: IDC
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Re: No calcium supplements 24 to 48 hrs before Dexascan

Postby Emerald » 27pm28America/New_York()

Okay, Im a little slow these days.....what do rolaids have to do with no dexascan?
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
wisegnome3
Forum Moderator

Postby wisegnome3 » 27pm28America/New_York()

Rolaids contains Calcium carbonate. They need you to discontinue any pill containing Calcium 24 to 48 hours before the test because it can interfere with the test's accuracy. You can eat and drink normally.
"Calcium supplements may not be totally absorbed if taken close to the time of the DEXA scan. The calcium may then overlie the lower spine and falsely increase the density in this region."

"Also if you have had another x-ray with contrast media in the last 7 days (some examples: barium enema, upper GI , some CAT scans] or if you have had a nuclear scan (including bone scan and thyroid study) in the last 7 days, you should not have this test."
RightyHeidi
Forum Moderator
Diagnosed on: July-2005
Diagnosed With: ILC
Secondary Diagnosis: LCIS
Cancer Stage: 2b
Node Status: 1/11
Tumor Size: 4cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER/PR + Neu -

Postby RightyHeidi » 18am31America/New_York()

Wow - I am sooooooooooooo glad I saw this! Thanks! In an hour I am having a bone scan w/contrast and then an x-ray. I have a Dexa scheduled for tomorrow. Which of course - I will now change it to 3 weeks from now. I'm running late - but I found out some interesting info re: Calcium - will post about it later - when I get back home.
"We say keep your change, we'll keep our God, our guns, our constitution." Sarah Palin

"It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so." Ronald Reagan
RightyHeidi
Forum Moderator
Diagnosed on: July-2005
Diagnosed With: ILC
Secondary Diagnosis: LCIS
Cancer Stage: 2b
Node Status: 1/11
Tumor Size: 4cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER/PR + Neu -

Postby RightyHeidi » 20am31America/New_York()

I have this "thing" about calcium supplements... I've just heard/read so much conflicting info about them. I have Osteoporosis and arthritis - so it's crucial for me to get as much calcium as possible... but I'm so leary of it all... But anywho... I found a product called Osteophase. Their site says that calcium supplements INCREASE the amount of calcium in your body. But Osteophase doesn't increase it. It helps to restore the calcium that's naturally in our bodies. This makes sense... check it out. (I will ask my Dr about it too.)

http://www.puretango.com/osteophase.html
"We say keep your change, we'll keep our God, our guns, our constitution." Sarah Palin

"It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so." Ronald Reagan
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 20pm31America/New_York()

Thanks for the info. I've never heard this, nor have I been told to not take calcium before dexa. I'm having one sometime soon.
Shirley
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".

Return to “..... For Tests”