Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Juicing and Blending foods

Postby GingerSnap » 26pm31America/New_York()

Anybody else have a Vita-Mix?

I love mine! I prefer using my Vita-Mix over my juicer because:

1. You use the whole food and get the fiber
2. Easy clean up!

Here's a good site to visit
http://www.VitaMixLady.com

I have made the best whole food soups from this and just love it. Smoothies are so easy. It has a 2hp motor so you can put in the seeds of grapes, bellpepper, etc and instead of going right "thru" you, undigested, you get all the anti-oxidant value from them which is usually exponentially greater than the fruit itself.

I made ice cream in 20 sec with carrots, cabbage, yellow squash, concentrated orange juice and ice! My daughter, who would not eat any of the veggies, loves it and loves the fact that these "yucky" veggies are in it. She has me make it when her friends come over.

The tortilla soup is to die for ..

eating whole food is also pretty cheap!!! And filling!
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Re: Juicing and Blending foods

Postby GingerSnap » 26pm31America/New_York()

Here's their recipe:

3 cups (720 mL) low sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
1 (62 g) Roma tomato
1 (60 g) carrot
1 rib (40 g) celery
1 (14 g) thin slice of onion
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 (10 g) thin slice of yellow squash
1 (10 g) thin slice of red bell pepper
1 (10 g) thin slice of cabbage
1 (10 g) mushroom
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
dash cumin
salt and pepper, to taste

Add to soup base on VARIABLE 2 1/2 cup cooked chicken; 1/2 fresh jalapeno (20 g); 1/4 cup pitted olives; 1/4 cup (60 mL) canned corn, unsalted; 2 ounces (60 g) tortilla chips

Place all ingredients in Vita-Mix container in order listed. Secure 2-part lid. Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 5 to 6 minutes until steam escapes through lid opening. Reduce speed to VARIABLE, speed #2. Remove lid plug. Drop in chicken, jalapenos, olives, corn and chips. Run for an additional 10 seconds. Serve immediately

-----------------------
But I didn't use stock .... only because I don't ever have it -- I use the bouillon cubes or paste. And I start with warm water. I finish heating in the microwave in my individual bowl instead of waiting for the whole thing to heat up in the blender. Much quicker and no need to heat it ALL until I am ready to eat it. And because Little Girl doesn't like too much of spicy food, I eliminate the jalapeno. If you don't have taco seasoning, just use some Spice it Up, Dash or Gorilla salt! Whatever ya got!
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 27pm31America/New_York()

Here's a calcium rich smoothie!!

Kale may not be the first thing you think of when making a smoothie, but it's definitely one of the best. Dark leafy greens like kale are packed with calcium in a form that is easier for the body to absorb than the calcium found in milk. And that's just the beginning. Kale is also one of the few plants that contain iron. The phytonutrient bonus with kale is that is also includes the vitamin C needed to improve the absorption of nonheme iron. Although somewhat strong in taste, the four fruits found in this smoothie combine for a unique flavor and the Vita-Mix machine blends everything to a smooth, creamy consistency.
•1 cup green grapes
•1 orange, peeled
•½ Bartlett pear
•1 banana, fresh or frozen
•1 cup kale
•½ cup water
•2 cups ice
Directions
Place all ingredients into container and secure the lid. Select variable speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10, then to High for 1 ½ minutes. Turn machine off. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 cups.
Per Serving: (1 cup) 102 calories, 2 g protein, 0 g fat, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 mg sodium, 15.5 g sugar.

---------------------

A note on bananas --- If I see that it's time to eat the banana but we don't want to .. or maybe it's just getting too ripe, I peel the banana and wrap it in tin foil and FREEZE IT. It is perfect for later on for a smoothie or dipping it in a chocolate syrup for Miss T.
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 29am30America/New_York()

I never got around to buying the vita-mix, and my Jack LaLanne juicer just wasn't doing the job. So much veggies had to go in to get so little juice. To me, it was too costly to use and too big to clean and all that wonderful fiber going in the trash. What a waste.

So I've been staring at my Cuisanart blender on the counter which is never used much and I bought some spinach, broccoli, melon and carrots. I added some water to the bottom, very little, added all my ingredients, and it worked. It pureed the veggies down to a drinkable, and very tasty mixture. It took awhile with some stirring but it was nothing next to the mess of juicing.

That's my report. Cuisanart does the job.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 29am30America/New_York()

I don't have a Cuisanart , but I do have a blender. May try that soon. Also, I have a food processor that easy to use...wonder how that'd work?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 30am30America/New_York()

Shirley,

Hmmm, I haven't been juicing for awhile, and I had two glasses of my blender concoction yesterday. Needless to say, it goes right through the pipes. I woke up dizzy this morning too. My advice, eat something before blending. I didn't.

Sure, try your blender, see if it will work. I don't know what a food processor is so I can't help there.
Pat
Cancer Stage: IIA
Node Status: 0/?
Tumor Size: 4cm
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2+

Postby Pat » 30am30America/New_York()

A Cuisinart is a fancy, expensive and frequently commercial quality food processor. Any decent food processor should be able to do most things that a Cuisinart can do, although it might take a little longer to get the same results if the motor is not as powerful.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator

Postby Mimi2 » 30am30America/New_York()

Pat, the motor seems to be powerful. However, I haven't used it that much.

Rosemary, thanks for the advice, but I have the OPPOSITE problem so two glasses my just help that problem. Most of the time mag citrate does.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 30pm30America/New_York()

Pat,

My Cuisinart is a food processor? It looks just like a blender. Chop, puree, etc. You know a fruit smoothie device. It doesn't even take a big strawberry down to size. Are you sure its a food processor? Whatever that is.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator

Postby Mimi2 » 30pm30America/New_York()

I have made smoothies in my food processor. My dh even liked them.

We tried the Jack LaLanne Juicer sometime back. It made a mess so we sent it back. And our concoction was not good. However, if the juicer had not been so messy we would have kept it and tried other concoctions.
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 30pm30America/New_York()

This is what I'm using:

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/detail/CUI+SPB-10CH

And it's working with a little help from me. What the heck, we've saved a fortune.
Pat
Cancer Stage: IIA
Node Status: 0/?
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2+

Postby Pat » 30pm30America/New_York()

Cuisinart is a brand. They are known for making food processors, and the names became synonomyus like Kleenex and tissues, but Rosemary, what you have is a very nice Cuisinart brand blender!
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 01am31America/New_York()

Thank you Pat,

It has to run for a bit to get it to liquidfy the veggies so I don't know how long it will last, but the more important thing for us is to get those veggies in, especially broccoli and asperagus and top the glass with at least one tablespoon of olive oil. Cheers.
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 08pm31America/New_York()

Food that heals. I don't know which ones do a better job but I found out for myself that cravings heal. I let my eyes go over all the fresh produce and soon enough my cart is pulling me to a certain produce.

I had a cold, and usually I'll cough for months later or so. My cart pulled me directly to the oranges, and I began eating one every evening...then I noticed no more cough. I actually craved oranges, one was not enough.

Different things for different people. What helps me might not work for you, but your cart knows. Don't be in a rush to shop, go early... not too many people there to distract you, and your body will talk to you, and don't be too surprised if it stops all the time at the organic spinach section.

I feel sorry for people who don't food shop for themselves because they're missing true healing for themselves.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator

Postby Mimi2 » 09pm31America/New_York()

Okay, Rosemary. Some people will read this and think veggies and fruits are talking to Rosemary? Perhaps we should report her as a nut job..before she becomes dangerous to herself or others. LOL

Sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that one. I've been wanting some Fuji apples. The last ones I had were absolutely delish!
RightyHeidi
Forum Moderator
Diagnosed on: July-2005
Diagnosed With: ILC
Secondary Diagnosis: LCIS
Cancer Stage: 2b
Node Status: 1/11
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER/PR + Neu -

Postby RightyHeidi » 10am31America/New_York()

Reminder: toss in a handful of flax meal to just about any recipe.
"We say keep your change, we'll keep our God, our guns, our constitution." Sarah Palin

"It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so." Ronald Reagan
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 10am31America/New_York()

"Perhaps we should report her as a nut job..before she becomes dangerous to herself or others. LOL"

It's my cart that's dangerous. It goes at the speed of light. That reminds me, walnuts. Shirley, get some. It has to do with osteoporosis or something about bones. Anyway, they're good to munch on before taking D3 and K-2. Those 2 need fats to be absorbed well. Not almonds because they're nutritionless since they're being radiated.

Oh, I sent my husband to the store just to see what he'd come home with. Cherries. He found them to be sweet and I had some and my eyes watered from the tartness. UH-HUH. My case is made.
Rosemary44
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosemary44 » 17am31America/New_York()

I watched an infomercial last night for a food processor. Wait long enough and it shows up. What I liked the most about it is I can make an individual glass of veggie juice, and there is no mess of a big decanter that needs cleaning, etc. No pulp to clean up, it's all down the hatch.

It's sold at BB&B. And I'll own it today. I felt badly that I wasn't getting the 5 servings of veggies daily anymore. It's so important to our maintenance.

It's called the Ninja Mega system. It got good reviews from the users too. It also makes ice cream. Just think, no more Monsanto soy in our ice cream.

I just thought I'd share.
VoiceOfReason
Diagnosed With: DCIS
Cancer Stage: 1
Node Status: 0/3
Receptor Status: ER-, PR-. HER +++

Postby VoiceOfReason » 07pm31America/New_York()

I "Juice" 5 to 7 days a week. I just have an inexpensive Cuisinart "blender'. I start with maybe 4 ounces of "Naked Juice" (the "green machine or "berry antioxidant") add a little water. Then mix in "Alive" protein powder. Amazon seems to have the best deals on Alive. It is a great product, there are several varieties...so if you do check it out, make sure you don't buy the "soy" The one I get is non-GMO "Pea Protein". It has an amazing list of ingredients.
I usually add spinach, kale leaves, broccoli, carrots, orange, half apple and banana , and what ever else I have like pineapple !

I make 32 ozs. and sip on it all afternoon...I have lost 12 pounds in a year. Plus, getting in at least the 10 fruits and veggie my ocn. dietician recommended.

Would highly recommend "JUICING" to everyone
>=; >=; >=;
Make America [color=#0040FF]GREAT AGAIN !!![/color]

Return to “Food For Thought...”