Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Celebrating the Torah --- Pentecost

Postby GingerSnap » 28pm31America/New_York()

The reason I am bringing this bit of history up is because, as most of you know, Passover happened a few weeks ago which is immediately followed by Easter. In the bible, the Jews fled from a nation, Egypt, into the desert. They were wandering without a land that belonged to them. However, during this time they became a nation, they were already a family all descended from one man. From the time they left Egypt til the time they received the Law was 7 weeks. In the Bible they celebrated this day as the Festival of Weeks. Once again, the Jewish people would make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem (there were 3 required per year).

The reason this is important to Christians is that we also celebrate this holiday but for a different reason --- we call it Pentecost. Because Jewish people lived all over the area in 33CE, many did not just speak Aramaic but they were a people speaking many languages all flooding into Jerusalem to celebrate the holiday. At this time in history, the Jews are gathered in Jerusalem once again after Passover ... 49 or 50 days afterwards ... to celebrate the handing down of the Torah. While they are all there, Holy Spirit descends upon the apostles in the upper room where they now have command over languages and can speak in the many tongues required.

Wow!! Imagine, 3,000 baptized in one day because this small group of men from Gallilee can suddenly speak all kinds of languages. Talk about evidence of Holy Spirit being upon them! Now these 3,000 plus the ones baptized the following days, each go home across the mediterranean nations or where ever they reside and take their newfound Christianity with them -- thus starting the spread of the Gospel throughout the earth.

I thought it would be interesting to see what this original holiday was like ...

----------------------------

this is from Chabad.org

On the first of Sivan, the first day of the third month after the exodus from Egypt, the children of Israel reached the desert of Sinai and camped near the mountain.

During the few weeks of traveling in the desert under Divine protection, with daily miracles, such as the manna and the quail, the miraculous sweetening of the water, the defeat of Amalek, and the crossing of the Red Sea, the Jewish people had become more and more conscious of G-d.

Their faith grew more intense daily, until they attained a standard of holiness, solidarity and unity, never achieved before or after by any other nation.

Moses ascended Mount Sinai, and G-d spoke to him the following words: "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 'You have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto Myself. Now, therefore, if you will hearken unto My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be Mine own treasure from among all peoples; for all the earth is Mine. You shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation.'"

Moses returned from Sinai and called for the elders of the people and put all these words of G-d before them. Unanimously, with one voice and one mind, the people answered: Naaseh Venishma, "Everything G-d has said, we shall do and understand."

Thus they accepted the Torah outright, with all its precepts, not even asking for a detailed enumeration of the obligations and duties it involved.

When Israel had voiced its eagerness to receive the Torah, G-d spoke to Moses again: "Go unto the people, and sanctify them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments, and be ready for the third day; for on the third day the L-rd will come down in the sight of all the people upon Mount Sinai. And you shalt set bounds unto the people round about saying: Take heed to yourselves, that you go not up onto the Mount, or touch the border of it; whatsoever touches the Mount shall surely die."
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Re: History of the Torah

Part 2 (I had forgotten that the people did hear directly from God the first 10 commands -- thus again they knew that they were being led by Him and not by Moses)

The dawn of the third day broke amid thunder and lightning that filled the air. Heavy clouds hung over the mountain, and the steadily growing sounds of the Shofar made the people shake and tremble with fear. Moses led the children of Israel out of the camp and placed them at the foot of Mount Sinai, which was all covered by smoke and was quaking, for G-d had descended upon it in fire.

The sound of the Shofar grew louder, but suddenly all sounds ceased, and an absolute silence ensued; and then G-d proclaimed the Ten Commandments as follows
:

1. "I am the Lord your G-d, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

2. "You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, nor any manner of likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them, nor serve them. For I the Lord your G-d am a jealous G-d, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children of the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

3. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your G-d in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that takes His name in vain.

4. "Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work; but the seventh day is a Sabbath unto the Lord your G-d. On it you shall not do any manner of work -- you, your son, your daughter, your man-servant, your maid-servant, your cattle, and your stranger that is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them is, and rested on the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

5. "Honor your father and mother, so that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your G-d gives you.

6. "You shall not murder.

7. "You shall not commit adultery.

8. "You shall not steal.

9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, his manservant, his maid-servant, his ox, his A$$, nor anything that is your neighbor's."
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Re: History of the Torah

Part 3

The entire people heard the words of G-d, and they became frightened.

They begged Moses to be the intermediary between G-d and them, for if G-d Himself would continue to give them the entire Torah, they would surely die. Moses told them not to be afraid, for G-d had revealed Himself to them so that they would fear Him and not sin.

Then G-d asked Moses to ascend the mountain; for he alone was able to stand in the presence of G-d. There Moses was to receive the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments and the entire Torah, to teach it to the children of Israel.

Moses went up the mountain and stayed there forty days and forty nights, without food or sleep, for he had become like an angel. During this time, G-d revealed to Moses the entire Torah, with all its laws and the interpretations thereof.

Finally, G-d gave Moses the two stone Tables of Testimony, containing the Ten Commandments, written by G-d Himself.
wisegnome3
Forum Moderator

Re: Celebrating the Torah --- Pentecost

Postby wisegnome3 » 02pm30America/New_York()

Just to add although most people have heard of Rosh Hashonna and Yom Kippur, one of the major holidays celebrated earnestly by devout Jews is Shavuot.
We always had the house filled with flowers and cheesecake, and cheese blintzes..................
---------------------------------------------------------
What is Shavuot?
Re-Accept the Torah

The Torah was given by G‑d to the Jewish people on Mount Sinai more than 3300 years ago. Every year on the holiday of Shavuot we renew our acceptance of G‑d's gift and G‑d "re-gives" the Torah.

The word Shavuot means "weeks." It marks the completion of the seven week counting period between Passover and Shavuot.

The giving of the Torah was a far-reaching spiritual event—one that touched the essence of the Jewish soul for all times. Our Sages have compared it to a wedding between G‑d and the Jewish people. Shavuot also means oath and on this day G‑d swore eternal devotion to us, and we in turn pledged everlasting loyalty to Him.

On this day G‑d swore eternal devotion to us, and we pledged everlasting loyalty to HimThe holiday of Shavuot is a two-day holiday, beginning at sundown of the 5th of Sivan and lasting until nightfall of the 7th of Sivan.

* Women and girls light holiday candles to usher in the holiday, both on the firsty and second nights of the holidays.
Recite these blessings:
Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the holiday light.
Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.

* It is customary to stay up all night learning Torah on the first night of Shavuot.
"(According to a story in the Midrash, the night before the Torah was given, the Israelites retired early to be well-rested for the momentous day ahead, but they overslept and Moses had to wake them up because God was already waiting on the mountaintop.[5] To rectify this flaw in the national character, religious Jews stay up all night to learn Torah.)"

"(Any subject may be studied, although Talmud, Mishna and Torah typically top the list. In many communities, men and women attend classes and lectures until the early hours of the morning. In Jerusalem, thousands of people finish off the nighttime study session by walking to the Kotel before dawn and joining the sunrise minyan there. The latter activity is reminiscent of Shavuot's status as one of the three Biblical pilgrimage festivals, when the Jews living in the Land of Israel journeyed to Jerusalem to celebrate the holiday.[6])"

* All men, women and children should go to the synagogue on the first day of Shavuot to hear the reading of the Ten Commandments.

* As on other holidays, special meals are eaten, and no "work" may be performed.

* Many eat dairy foods on Shavuot commemorating the fact that upon receiving the Torah, including the Kosher laws, the Jewish people could not cook meat in their pots which had yet to be rendered Kosher.

("Dairy foods such as cheesecake and blintzes with cheese and other fillings are traditionally served on Shavuot. [3]One explanation for the consumption of dairy foods on this holiday is that the Israelites had not yet received the Torah, with its laws of shechita (ritual slaughtering of animals). As the food they had prepared beforehand was not in accordance with these laws, they opted to eat simple dairy meals to honor the holiday. Some say it harks back to King Solomon's portrayal of the Torah as "honey and milk are under your tongue" (Song of Songs 4:11).[4]")

* On the second day of Shavuot, the Yizkor memorial service is recited.

* Some communities read the Book of Ruth, as King David – whose passing occurred on this day – was a descendant of Ruth the Moabite.

"(The Book of Ruth (מגילת רות, Megillat Ruth) corresponds to the holiday of Shavuot both in its descriptions of the barley and wheat harvest seasons and Ruth's desire to become a member of the Jewish people, who are defined by their acceptance of the Torah. Moreover, the lineage described at the end of the Book lists King David as Ruth's great-grandson. According to tradition, David was born and died on Shavuot (Sha'arei Teshuvah to Orach Hayyim, 494)."

A synagogue sanctuary decked out in greenery in honor of Shavuot

"("According to the Midrash, Mount Sinai suddenly blossomed with flowers in anticipation of the giving of the Torah on its summit. Greenery also figures in the story of the baby Moses being found among the bulrushes in a watertight cradle (Ex. 2:3) when he was three months old (Moses was born on 7 Adar and placed in the Nile River on 6 Sivan, the same day he later brought the Jewish nation to Mount Sinai to receive the Torah).[citation needed]

For these reasons, many Jewish families traditionally decorate their homes and synagogues with plants, flowers and leafy branches in honor of Shavuot. Some synagogues decorate the bimah with a canopy of flowers and plants so that it resembles a chuppah, as Shavuot is mystically referred to as the day the matchmaker (Moses) brought the bride (the Jewish people) to the chuppah (Mount Sinai) to marry the bridegroom (God); the ketubbah (marriage contract) was the Torah. Some Eastern Sephardi communities actually read out a ketubbah between God and Israel as part of the service.)"
NoBamaMama
Diagnosed on: 7/27/12
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: IIIc
Node Status: 13/16
Tumor Size: 5.6 cm
Tumor Grade: 1
Receptor Status: ER/PR/HER2-

Postby NoBamaMama » 23am30America/New_York()

I find this all very interesting. I'm a long time member of a non-denomination church. Our vision is to help the Jews to make Aliyah. (Return to Israel) according to Isaiah 49:22 I will beckon to the Gentiles and they will carry your sons back in their arms and your daughters on their shoulders.
We celebrated Sukkot last Fall, and in May we celebrated Shauvat for the first time.
We have been very blessed to have orthodox rabbis & others from Israel speak in our church.
I don't understand how the Presbyterian Church could call for a ban on Israel and still believe they are in God's will.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 23pm30America/New_York()

My daughter and her family go to a Presbyterian church. I haven't talked to her about this subject but I can guarantee you that their church is not "honoring" what the Presbytery is doing. Just recently their church had to go through a heartbreaking decision. I don't understand it all but the big decision was whether Homosexuals could hold office. The Evangelical members of the church.....no, no, no. My daughter and her husband were two of the nos.

The sad thing is when this kind of the happens people leave the church that some have worshipped there most of their lives.

My daughter is funny. We went to a Baptist church and took our Bibles with us. At the Presbyterian church most people don't plus they have two big screens that the congregation can read. Holly takes her Bible with her. L
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
NoBamaMama
Diagnosed on: 7/27/12
Cancer Stage: IIIc
Node Status: 13/16
Tumor Size: 5.6 cm
Tumor Grade: 1
Receptor Status: ER/PR/HER2-

Postby NoBamaMama » 30pm30America/New_York()

I just heard the heartbreaking news that they found the bodies of the three missing Israeli teens. This is so incredibly sad. I'm both sad & angry.

Return to “Biblical Proportions”