Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Enoch

Postby GingerSnap » 05pm31America/New_York()

From Pastor Greg:

When I hear of Hollywood couples who get together and then divorce rather quickly, I have to wonder what people are looking for in marriage.

Do they understand that it's a commitment? Do they understand that feelings will come and go, and that you must get on with the very real business of loving a person and all that it means?

The same can be said of a relationship with God. There are times when you feel great joy, passion, and excitement about being a Christian. And there are times when you don't feel it. But that doesn't mean you say, "Well, that's it. I'm not going to follow Christ anymore."

The Bible doesn't say, "The just shall live by feelings." Rather, it says, "The just shall live by faith" (Romans 1:17 NKJV).

Feelings change, but walking with God takes faith. It takes commitment. And it takes consistency.

The Bible tells us about a man who walked with God for many years. His name was Enoch, and I want to look at some secrets from his life that we can apply in our lives as well.

In the whole of the Bible, only five passages refer to Enoch, two of which are genealogies. Although we don't find a lot written about Enoch, what we do have is significant.

Genesis tells us, "Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah. After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters. So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him" (Genesis 5:21–24 NKJV).

Enoch lived during a unique time in human history, just before God's judgment of the world by the flood. Against this very dark backdrop was a man who walked with God and was spared a painful death most likely at the hand of the huge bullies: Nephilim. Enoch is a prototype of the last-days believer, showing us how to live as we await the Lord's return.

So what set Enoch apart? How was he able to live a godly life in an ungodly world, in a time that was characterized by sexual perversion and uncontrolled violence? We find three important principles at work in Enoch's life that we can apply in our own lives today.

Principle one: Enoch walked with God. The analogy of walking and the Christian life is used throughout Scripture. But what does it mean to walk with God? It is not merely living by rules and regulations or making daily resolutions that we quickly break. It is much more than that.

The prophet Amos revealed an important truth about what it means to walk with God when he asked, "Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?" (Amos 3:3 NKJV). The word he used for "together" gives the idea of two people moving in rhythm together, as in riding a tandem bicycle. But it is not about getting God into rhythm with us; it is getting ourselves into rhythm with Him. That is what it means to walk with God.

Principle two: Enoch was well-pleasing to God. Hebrews 11:5 says, "He had this testimony, that he pleased God" (NKJV). Sometimes we have the mistaken notion that God is very hard to please. Yet God knows our weaknesses and frailties better than anyone, and He is not as hard to please as we might think.

So how do we please God? God is pleased when, in spite of the fact that we are in the right, we patiently endure when misunderstood (see 1 Peter 2:19–20). When you do what is right and patiently endure suffering for it, that is called meekness, and it pleases God.

God is also pleased when children obey their parents (see Colossians 3:20); when we worship Him and help others (see Hebrews 13:15–16); and when we give financially to the work of the kingdom (see Philippians 4:17–18).

Principle three: Enoch was a witness for God. Enoch walked with God, he was well-pleasing to God, and lastly, he was a witness for God. As Enoch walked with God and pleased Him, he had a testimony and a witness.

Every Christian has a testimony. People are watching us. They are observing us. And we should give a lot of thought to that. Before we can effectively witness for God, we must first walk with Him.

Because Enoch walked with God, he saw this world for what it was. Do you?
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
Silverleaf
Diagnosed on: Jan 2004
Diagnosed With: ILC
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Re: Enoch

Postby Silverleaf » 06am31America/New_York()

This is a very good thought provoking post. thank you for opening my eyes and my heart even more.
Life is good and I intend to live it to the fullest
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 06am31America/New_York()

I try to explain to my daughter about people like Enoch, Noah, Lot --- they had so much bad around them, that the bad seemed normal. Immorality can be so prevalent that you can actually be the odd one around if you aren't living like them. Does that mean we "join the 21st Century"? Does that mean we change?

I imagine back in Enoch and Noah's day they were encouraged to "get with the times" and participate in some of the revelries. Noah obviously had 3 sons he wanted to raise up according to his faith.

We are in the same times --- imperfect people trying to raise our kids up in our faiths and teaching them that God values them and loves them. God has physical laws that cannot be disobeyed (gravity for one!!) and it's the same with moral laws -- eventually, you will come smashing down if you disobey them! We need to look up, not around us, to see how to act.
gina56
Cancer Stage: IIIa
Node Status: 6/25
Tumor Size: 2cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER-

Postby gina56 » 06am31America/New_York()

Ginger, that was a very insightful post. I almost skipped over it. I didn't know who Enoch was.
I try to get my children to understand the same thing. I get very frustrated because they are so impatient and want to see immediate results. DH is the same way. Of course the kids, who are young adults now, fear being different from everyone else. I raised them in the Catholic faith and they feel that the Church is still in the dark ages. Can you imagine that? LOL.

Gina
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 06am31America/New_York()

Gina, I left the Catholic faith for a long time. A lot of people did. But the Catholic Church has realized that they fell down on the job a bit. I was at a class a few weeks ago and the instructor brought out how many baptismal records they had but that didn't near match the amount of people coming to Church. This was a worldwide problem.

Instruction is emphasized. Reading the Bible. Bible classes. Fish fries on Fridays. Bible Summer School is available now for kids. Religious Education for the kids is available midweek and on weekends now.

They now sing the Responsorial Psalms now --- I mean, at first it was annoying but then I had to remember that the Psalmist wrote the psalms to be sung in the first place!

I also learned the REASON for the stained glass in churches, the Statues, etc --- and then it made me feel love for the priests and brothers of long ago. People of the Middle Ages could not read. Many had no bible due to cost even when they were available. The stained glass windows told the stories.
Bibles were not chained to the pulpit to keep people away, but to preven theft -- they were $1000's of dollars back then!!! Handwritten. But they kept them on the altar so they could be read -- Catholics did not prevent people from reading the bible.

Gina, maybe they will come back and maybe they won't ... I still have to say, I love listening to Christian radio and hearing Pastor Greg or Pastor Chuck --- very inspiring.
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Postby Emerald » 06pm31America/New_York()

Ginger, what a wonderful post! Now I am going to go back and reread theses scriptures about Enoch. I have always loved his story as it is the first example in the scriptures that Heaven is indeed a real place and immediately we will be in the presence of God when we leave our lives here.
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 07am31America/New_York()

And even though Enoch was faithful and had lots of time to spend teaching his son Methuselah about God, his son did not turn out to be a man of faith. A good lesson for all of us -- each one must take their stand with God, we cannot do it for them. Their heart condition is their own.
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Postby Emerald » 07am31America/New_York()

True. Look at David, Absalom and Solomon.
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"

Return to “Biblical Proportions”