Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Atheists Holiday!

Postby GingerSnap » 11pm30America/New_York()

I heard about an atheist who was a little bit upset because of all the holidays that people of faith celebrated.

He said to a friend, "You Christians have Christmas and Easter. And Jews celebrate their holidays like Passover and Yom Kippur. But we atheists don't have recognized holidays. It's unfair discrimination."

His friend thought about it for a moment and said, "Well, you atheists could celebrate April 1. That could be your holiday. You know, April Fool's Day. It fits, because 'the fool has said in his heart there is no God.' "

And that is, in fact, what the Bible tells us in Psalm 14:1 and 53:1

/s/Greg Laurie
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Re: Atheists Holiday!

Postby Emerald » 11pm30America/New_York()

Sad thing is, the atheists are trying to christian/holy holiday's to be done away with. They don't think the government shouldn't take them as national/legal holiday's.

I think April 1st is a perfect atheist holiday too. :lol:
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
gina56
Cancer Stage: IIIa
Node Status: 6/25
Tumor Size: 2cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER-

Postby gina56 » 11pm30America/New_York()

I think that if you don't believe there is a God, What do you have to celebrate?

Gina
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 11pm30America/New_York()

Well, sadly, atheists fall into the "eat drink and be merry" group, for in their heart they have said there is no God, this life is all there is ..... Epicurean philosophy sort of .... Epicureans only believed in restraints because too much can hurt --- eating too much makes you sick, too many sex partners gets you disease. They didn't believe in restraint/self control based on morals but restraint was based on the fact that natural laws will punish you, not divine justice.
lexislove
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER+, Her2+

Postby lexislove » 13am30America/New_York()

I would just like to know what is all of your definations of an Athiest?

BTW.. I am NOT an Athiest but am just curious as to everyones opinion.

It's funny that I have noticed as the years go on, more businesses are OPEN on Good Friday's and Easter Sundays. Mostly small businesses..but still. When I was growing up there was nothing! I live in a city which is pretty "multi cultural" and there are a lot of Asians and Indian people. They don't close for no Holiday, I thought Asians were majorly Christian :?
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 13am30America/New_York()

An atheist is one who does not believe in God or gods. One who denies the existence of a higher power.
There are also agnostics -- ones who believe in "something" but not sure what it/He/they are. Agnostics believe in an "unknown" Higher power --- I think many many people are of this sort.
gina56

Postby gina56 » 13am30America/New_York()

I don't know what the numbers are, but a lot of Asians are Buddhist and Muslim. I'm Catholic and we have a number of Asian families that belong to our church.

Back when I was growing up I remember my mother mentioning "blue laws" that prevented stores from beiong open on Sunday. I live in Pennsylvania so I don't know if other states had the same laws.
Back then also Sunday was a family day. For the Jewish religion, the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends sundown on Saturday, so any businesses that were owned and run by a Jewish person might have closed during those hours back then. JMO

Gina
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Postby Emerald » 13pm30America/New_York()

I grew up in the "bible belt" of northeast Georgia, where everyone was either baptist or methodist. Went to public school where every morning we had scripture and devotion over the loud speaker. Heck, I didn't even know people didn't believe in God until we moved to the suburbs of Atlanta when I was 16!

Jewish do celebrate/worship (which ever you want to call it) as gina said because that is the end of thier work week. Christian celebrate/worship on Sunday because that is the day Jesus rose from the grave.

I know that where I grew up, hardly any business was open on Sunday's, even gas stations! Some resturants were and maybe the drug store but that was it. And those didn't open till after 12:00.

I understand athiest and agnostic just as ginger explained it. I am a christian, so I can't say for sure, but that is how I believe it to be too.

I think that it would be depressing to not believe there is anything out there bigger than myself, looking out for me, and that death was final. If someone I loved died and I didn't believe in Heaven, then in my mind, that death is final and I would have no solace of seeing them again. How dark that would feel to me inside.
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
lexislove
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER+, Her2+

Postby lexislove » 13pm30America/New_York()

I agree with you Em. My dear grandfather passed away at 86 this past September. He and my grandmother just shared their 60th wedding Anniversary. He was the "rock" of our family. We was loved dearly. He only had 2 grandchildren, my brother and I. I was his little girl.

It gives me comfort knowing that when I pass I WILL be reunited with him. To see him again.

I do think A LOT of people are Antagonists. I don't know if it's times changing or what. I do find when I go to church, less and less young people are attending and getting involved with events.

My husbands church is having this issue. It had always been older people, I mean 60 and over, that would help organize events or charitable nights. Well, these older people are getting just too tired or can not keep up with all the work that goes to organizing such things.

So the church, has been looking for the younger crowd to help take over. They are having such a hard time with the lack of volunteers. I know myself being a "younger" person I am busy. I have a family, my husband works 12-14 hour days, I have a 3 year old. So my time gets limited. BUT....a couple of times a year I do volunteer for picnics during the summer months after Sunday Services. wether it is baking or food preperation. It is sooooo much work!!! I try to do as much as I can and it makes me feel good doing it. :D I wish that more people my age could see for themselves how important it is to continue such taditions. Currently all the money being made / donated is to complete some murals inside the church to make it complete.
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 14pm30America/New_York()

I think to be an atheist, you'd have to really turn a blind eye to the order of things around here. I mean all humans are designed with the same inner workings ... could you imagine if some people had hearts near their back, or over on the other side? Doctors would have a hard time.

The planets are aligned so as to not run into each other. The earth is like a house in a desert -- a house with water, food supply, cooling, heating, etc ... Who on earth would walk up to a house in the desert that was completely stocked and say, "Wow, that house just evolved there!" There are no other planets with all the means for life ... our solar system is like a desert with one house in the middle of it.

Why cannot they see that we have natural laws that cannot be disobeyed -- cannot jump off a tall building and demand to float, can you? .. Well, you cannot disobey moral laws and expect to get away with it either ... some day, it will bite you in the butt!
gina56

Postby gina56 » 16am30America/New_York()

I think the philosophy must be 'live for today and the He!! with tomorrow'. If you don't believe in God there's no need for a conscience.

Gina
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 17am30America/New_York()

I agree with all of you. Now, am my dh and I athiests because we got married on April 1 many years ago!? :? We celebrate April Fool's Day. :shh:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 17pm30America/New_York()