Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

What is Salvation - Who is Saved?

Postby Emerald » 30pm31America/New_York()

For a Christian- anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as God in the flesh, our Lord and Savior- the topic of being saved is a joyous, exciting one that we want to share with everyone. Once you have been saved by the blood of the Lamb, you are immediately changed. A change that lasts forever. Your name is forever in the Book of Life, and no one can erase it.

For others, the term "saved" may stir emotions of fear, OR animosity, OR curiosity. It is easy to have negative or uncomfortable feelings with things that are unknown. It isn't a bad thing to feel this way, it is just a thing. I pray that I never make anyone feel condemned or afraid, or any thing else that would be a "turn off" for God's word.

I want everyone to know what God offers to us all for absolutley free, to any and everyone willing to accept the gift. There are no strings attached, because once you have truly been saved, anything you give back to God is not a "string", it is of the heart and given back because of unending gratitude and love.

So what exactly is "salvation" and what does it mean to "get saved" and who can "be saved"? If I were to try and put into words my personal explanation, I would screw it up. I would probably unintentionally offend someone. SOOOOOO, I am going to use the scripture to lay out God's plan for salvation, because God never screws anything up, and anyone who is offended by His word, He knows is about them and not Him. Basically----He is "the fall Guy" and He can take, He is tougher than I am. :blink:

Psalm 33:18 "Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy."

Psalm 34:22 "The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned."

Lamentations 3:25 "The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him."

Isaiah 45:22 "Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other."

Where does Jesus "fit in" to all of this? (we discussed the Trinity in the "Biblically challenged" thread in detail, so if anyone reading this needs clarification, please go look at that thread.)

Since Jesus IS God in the flesh, we "hope in His mercy", we know that "none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned", we understand that the Lord is good to "those who seek Him" and that we only need to look to Jesus "and be saved."

John 1:12 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name."

John 10:30 "I and My Father are one."

Matthew 10:33 "But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in Heaven."

God's grace, mercy, and salvation is His gift to us, His children. We cannot "earn" it by being "good", He doesn't save those who are merely "good people" if they do not accept Him.

Ephesian 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Matthew 7:23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'"

WHY doesn't God reward those who are "good" if they never accept Him? Because, that "good" is done not for the glory of God, but for our own glory. WE want to be "glorified":

Matthew 23:5 "But all their works they do to be seen by men."

But it is sooo easy to be saved and be gauranteed everlasting life, in Heaven, with Jesus. You just gotta believe! That is it.

John 6:47 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life."

John 7:38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."

Because to know God is to know Jesus and to know Jesus is to know God, for they are one in the same.

John 8:19 "You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also."

John 8:24 "Therefore, I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."

The only way to Heaven is through Christ Jesus.

John 10:9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

So , dont wait, if you do not know Jesus and have never accepted Him as your Savior, please run to Him NOW. We are not gauranteed tomorrow, so do it today. You can never go wrong by beleiving in Him but you can lose your soul if you dont.

May God bless us all.
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
lexi

Re: What is Salvation - Who is Saved?

Postby lexi » 30pm31America/New_York()

Amen sweet girl!!

Lexi
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 07am30America/New_York()

There's so many things in life to be afraid of...I don't want to be afraid of God. He is who I talk to when I'm really frightened over something. I just don't really get it, I guess...cos how could I turn to someone or something with my fears if He was one of the things I was scared of. I think it's the whole fire and brimstone thing that...never mind. I am so confused.
Cheri
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008

Postby Emerald » 07am30America/New_York()

Cheri, can you tell me what scares you? I would love to help you with your fear with scriptures, but I am unsure the specifics of your fears.

There are many things that can raise fears, but I THINK it is mostly of things unknown. Maybe? Anyway, I believe we all have fears when it comes to God. I certainly have had them, but for me, my fear was always what if He came back or if I died while I was doing something I shouldnt be doing or in a place I shouldn't be. Of course these fears were from my teenage and early 20's. Well and a few in my 30's.....LOL
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 08am30America/New_York()

Emerald, I need to look this up and I'm sure I'll understand it better...well...I Hope I understand it better.
----------------------------------------------
Psalm 33:18 "Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy."
----------------------------------------------

I haven't been to church in a long time so I'm not really sure where I fit. No doubt my fears are of the unknown. When I was a small child my uncle was an old fashioned Pentacostal preacher. I remember my Mama taking us to church and it scared me to death! lol My uncle was a great big man and he'd get really into what he was preaching (fire and brimstone included) and he'd get loud and have to mop the perspiration from his brow and then...omg...some of the women would let loose and there'd be people in the aisles speaking in tongues...yup...speaking in tongues and crying. Now I don't always agree with some peoples political or religous beliefs but they are certainly entitled to believe in whatever they want to. Pentacostal (sp) was just not my cup of tea. I was later baptized in the Christian Church...where my best friends dad was the minister and he got handsy with me one time...I didn't go back to that church. I was 12. Right after HS graduation I went to college for a year at a Baptist University. Pretty middle of the road and I would probably try that church or maybe Methodist. I don't want anything extreme.

I just have alot of questions in my mind and I'm missing something very important in my life. I do believe in God and have always. But I have made Him into what I want to believe that He is...so I need to search out what I think is the truth...hey...maybe that is what I'm afraid of, Emerald. Finding out there are actually rules to abide by and I can't just do as I please and then ask forgiveness and everything be fine...cos my God is liberal. (oops...sorry for the dirty 'L' word! lol)
Cheri
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008

Postby Emerald » 08pm30America/New_York()

Oh sweet Cheri, I want you to not be afraid anymore. Only those who turn away and deny Jesus need to fear. You believe, so you have nothing to fear but fear itself. (Wow, I should put that on a t-shirt.... :lol: )

I so hate that you were brought up with only experience in "He!! and damnation" type of worship. Of course we need to know there are consequences for our choices, but God is love, hope, grace, forgiving, merciful, comfortor, healer, and so much more.

Should we fear Him? Maybe think of it like this....remember when you were a child and you would do something wrong? You probably feared what your parents were gonna do to you, but your fear was short lived. You feared because you respected their authority. God is our Father whom we "fear" because we respect His authority.

I have so much more I want to tell you, but it is late and I am tired and I want to be "bright eyed and bushy tailed" before I say any more.
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Postby GingerSnap » 09pm30America/New_York()

It was explained to me that we have a "healthy fear of displeasing" God.

It's like if someone said, "Go kill your daughter." Your whole being would shake. You would look at that person and say WHAT???????? WHAT DID YOU SAY??? .......... because with you whole mind, body and soul, you KNOW that is wrong! You could not fathom doing that.

So, having a fear of God, is the kind of fear that makes you think, I would never, never intentionally hurt him, it is so far removed from your thoughts that it would cause your core to shake.

Another thought to ponder is that Christians only have 2 laws

1--- to love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength
2--- to love your neighbor as yourself

If you think about it ...... all the Ten Commandments, all the laws of civility can be encompassed within those 2 laws. So, to a Christian, you embrace the bible principles, the bible truths. If principles become "laws" on your heart, you can't miss! A Christian will think about the "what ifs" ... like married men would not be hanging out in bars by themself .. cuz, what if he had too much to drink and then committed adultery ....... I NEVER enter the house of my friends, if they are not home and hubby answers. Even though nothing would happen, how would it look? to her neighbors? to her? I mean how do I know if they ever had a "situation" that makes her a bit untrusting of him? We do not want to stumble others. And it would hurt our heart if we did -- even accidently.
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 10pm30America/New_York()

Oh, Cheri, I can SOOOOOOOOOOOOO relate to what you are feeling. I too was raised in a Pentecostal church. I hated it. I was a scared little girl and I said when I grew up I would not go to a Pentecostal Church. People would literally roill on the floor thus, Holy Roller. Now, I do not call them that because they have the right to worship as they please. Also, they spoke in tongues. I for the longest time believed there was something to that cuz it was the way I was raised. But after reading the book of Acts I completely formed a whole nother opinion about "speaking in tongues." Also, we had people call our pastor and ask him, "Do you have "it?" Meaning, are you filled with the Holy Spirit..well the Holy Spirit IS NOT an IT. And, by asking him that they wondered if he spoke in tongues. If not, he did have "it."

I haven't been to a Baptist Church in some time (that's the church I best relate to). I need to get back in there. I've visited with my dd at her Presbyterian Church and I approve...LOL Then I have another dd who goes to a church that believes anything..if you like Buddah..come on down...if you like Mother Nature..come on down..if you like Jesus..come one down. This child was raised in the Baptist Church...and then..she went off to college. She says that's not what changed her....EM, she went to Wake Forest University...LOL Anyway, she was looking for a church here in Wilmington. She found this Presbyterian Church..it was fine for a while...THEN she found a "different kind of chuch"...one that taught LOVE LOVE LOVE. Love anything and everything I guess..and positive thinking..well, there are "negatives" in this world. Love is wonderful and yes, we should love. However, there is evil in this world and consequences. We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God. But, our sins are forgiven if only we ask. BTW, both girls live in Charlotte.

Em and Ginger can explain better than me. I do think we do fear the unknown. And, Cheri, NONE of us are perfect. If we were there would be no need for Christ to have died on the Cross. God know that and that's why he sent his Son. There are some really good scriptures telling us that once we're saved we can not lose that salvation. Right now I'm a "Baptist Backslider," but God loves me so much that if I should die tomorrow I will still have my place in heaven. However, I may not have a nice place like Em and Gin. :cry:

Have I confused you more? There's a lot more to say, but I'll let the pros take over. Em is very good with words and explaining things so clearly..and so is Gin..I like those names..Em and Gin. :uwink:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Postby GingerSnap » 15am31America/New_York()

Pastor Greg's Devotional seemed to fit here today ...

----------
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

— John 14:6

During World War II, an American pilot who was shot down over the jungles of Burma was able to safely eject from his plane. As he landed in the deep, dense jungle, he was met by a friendly Burmese man. The man gestured for him to follow. So the American soldier followed the man through the jungle. There was no path that he could see, and ahead of him was the Burmese man, slicing away with his machete. It didn't seem like they were going in any particular direction. The American became frantic. So he yelled out to the man, "Where is the way?"

In broken English, the man told him, "I am the way. Follow me."

That is what Jesus says to us in the maze of life: "I am the way. Follow Me. I will get you to where you are supposed to go."
The entire meaning of the Christian faith can be condensed into four words: "I am the way."

You might be wondering, But how do I do this? How do I find my way? First of all, the road to heaven is a toll road. It will cost, but you can't pay the toll. Jesus paid it for you. You must realize that you can't do it on your own. And you must admit that you are a sinner. The Bible says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Which road are you on today? Which way are you going to choose? There is only one way to find a life that is full and rich on this earth and then to know for certain you are going to heaven. It is the highway to heaven. And you can pull onto the onramp today.
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
NoBamaMama
Diagnosed on: 7/27/12
Cancer Stage: IIIc
Node Status: 13/16
Tumor Size: 5.6 cm
Tumor Grade: 1
Receptor Status: ER/PR/HER2-

Postby NoBamaMama » 23am30America/New_York()

I'm pretty new to this forum so I have no idea to tell when a subject was posted. Is there a way to tell the date?

God wants us to fear Him, yet trust Him at the same time, but isn't that how we wanted our own children to do?

We want our children to trust us to love, nourish, protect, and never leave them. At the same time, we want them to fear the consequences of when they are blatantly disobedient.
This is what trusting & fearing God is.
Pat
Cancer Stage: IIA
Node Status: 0/?
Tumor Size: 4cm
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2+

Postby Pat » 23am30America/New_York()

Welcome NoBamaMama. The date a post was posted is in the upper righthand corner. :up: :up: :up:
VoiceOfReason
Diagnosed With: DCIS
Cancer Stage: 1
Receptor Status: ER-, PR-. HER +++

Postby VoiceOfReason » 26pm30America/New_York()

I have a question to throw out there. This has been troubling me for a long time.

What about all of the aborted babies who were never baptized? Other children who have died that were never baptized or given the means to know God ?
Make America [color=#0040FF]GREAT AGAIN !!![/color]
NoBamaMama

Postby NoBamaMama » 26pm30America/New_York()

Voice.....Baptism doesn't guarantee that anyone goes to Heaven. The only things that will get us to Heaven is recognizing that we are sinners, in need of a savior, and believing that Jesus is the only way to The Lord God Almighty.

Baptism is an act that we do that says to others that we have received God's covenant. Much like when the Jews entered covenant with God. Their act of agreement was circumcision.

Babies are not held accountable for sin. I know that Catholics do baptize newborns, but that's not what God's Word teaches.
Matthew 3:6 And when they "confessed their sins" he (John the Baptist) baptized them in the Jordon River.
Babies can't confess their sins, but in his infinite mercy God takes them right back home with Him.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if this doesn't make it clear or if you have more questions.

Blessings P.
VoiceOfReason

Postby VoiceOfReason » 27pm30America/New_York()

I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools, etc.

The purpose of baptizing infants is free them from from original sin, which we are all born with.

I have been doing research, there are at least 4 Biblical quotes I have found that confirm that.

Maybe we should stick to politics, something we all agree on :blink:
NoBamaMama

Postby NoBamaMama » 27pm30America/New_York()

VoiceofReason.....I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I need to be more careful with my words. Please forgive me.

I'm learning too. I would really be interested in those scriptures you mentioned. I do realize we are all born into the sin of Adam.

Blessings
P.
NoBamaMama

Postby NoBamaMama » 27pm30America/New_York()

I should have said," The thief on the cross wasn't baptized, and Jesus told him that he would be in paradise that very day with Him. But the Bible does teach us that we should follow the example of water baptism of Jesus. Water baptism doesn't cleanse us of our sins, it is a physical way that we show that we have been cleansed from them and we are going to follow God.

I hope I did a little better job of conveying what I was trying to say. I don't see any problem with baptizing infants. But, I know that they still go to Heaven, whether or not they are baptized.

Blessings
P.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 27pm30America/New_York()

I'm a Baptist but I respect other denomination. As long as they believe in salvation through Christ and are not into tree hugging, the universe, etc., as one way to salvation. Otherwise, I don't believe that "anything goes".

Voice, my mom was a Catholic until she married my dad. Anyway, she wanted to be a Nun but my grandfather wouldn't let her. Good thing or I wouldn't be here. ::D

Luv ya opposum lady.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
Pat

Postby Pat » 27pm30America/New_York()

Voice,
This is from The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,”64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism. (1257, 1250)

I copied it from the online one, but it matches my print copy with a 1994 copyright date.

It is not quite the same as the nuns teaching us when we were kids that unbaptized babies were in purgatory until the second coming of Christ, at which time all those who died without knowing Christ (as opposed to those who knew but rejected Him) would be taken into heaven. It is probably a better reflection of our own limitations as humans to know what is beyond our ability to know.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm
VoiceOfReason

Postby VoiceOfReason » 27pm30America/New_York()

Pat

When you were in school, did you bring in donations for "the Pagan babies" ?

Paula, you did not upset me. No one here could
Pat

Postby Pat » 27pm30America/New_York()

No, but we did have collections for the missions.

Return to “Biblical Proportions”