Bible Study for the Biblically Challenged?

Bible studies and connecting with other believers
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator
Diagnosed With: IDC
Cancer Stage: I
Node Status: 0/2
Tumor Size: 1.7
Tumor Grade: 2-3
Receptor Status: er/pr/her2+++

Re: Bible Study for the Biblically Challenged?

Postby GingerSnap » 24am30America/New_York()

Have any of you ever read Prov 8:22-31? I just love those scriptures ... it shows us how much God loves his Son -- how all things were created by God but thru Jesus. It shows how much Jesus loves us and why he would choose to die for us ...

I have had the Holy Spirit explained to me as "God's active force", his "magnetic force", "the finger of God", and even "his electrical force"! God is the power plant but the Holy Spirit is the electricity that makes it happen. One of my dad's friends is a priest and just sent a recent article about it and I have not had time to read it.

Gina, as a catholic, one thing that would help you is to reflect on the Apostle's Creed and the Nicene Creed. I can print them up for you.
PRASS MEDUSA PRASS MEDUSA
gina56
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: IIIa
Node Status: 6/25
Tumor Size: 2cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER-

Postby gina56 » 26pm30America/New_York()

Thanks, Ginger. I will do that. I have copies of them. Thanks for the thought, though.
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 27am30America/New_York()

My daughter has a workbook and this weeks lesson was on the Trinity. One of the explanations was the Shamrock -- Patrick would hold up a shamrock and challenge his hearers, "Is it one leaf or three?" "It is both one leaf and three," was their reply. "And so it is with God," he would conclude. "

My daughter had seen a two-headed snake at the Living Desert and asked if it was like that ... 2 heads, one body! I said, not quite ...

Sometimes I miss the nuns where anything that gets difficult they just say, "It's a mystery!"

To me, I see them as spirit bodies (God is a spirit and we worship with spirit and truth) that are in complete union, complete harmony with each other and like man and wife who are one, they too are One in purpose, One in direction.
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 30pm30America/New_York()

Ginger, I don't know how old your daughter is...but I must be the same age mentally. (no offense to your little girl cos she's probably much smarter at her age than I am at 51! LOL) I got the trinity thing finally...but it came from the shamrock you were talking about. When it comes to politics or religeon I guess I have to have things explained to me like I am a child. That may come from my normal refusal to discuss either one due to things getting out of hand...and if things ever get out of hand...I want to know what I'm talking about, so since I know very little about both I usually just don't participate in discussions regarding these topics. omg...if you understood what I just said...be afraid...be very afraid! hahaha
Cheri
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 30pm30America/New_York()

Wow! I did understand what you said ....... LOL
Silverleaf
Diagnosed on: Jan 2004
Diagnosed With: ILC
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Silverleaf » 04pm31America/New_York()

I love this thread and wow, what an awesome job of teaching and sharing Gods. word. I love to read the letters that Paul wrote. I mean here is this man who is against christians, a murder, and he meets Jesus on Demaskus road and totally changes his life, he lived the rest of his life trying to get to know Christ better and living Christ like and bringing others to christ.
Life is good and I intend to live it to the fullest
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Postby Emerald » 04pm31America/New_York()

Silver, you got that right about Paul! What would the Bible be without his letters? Paul is yet another example of just how BIG our God really is.

He was instrumental in building and strengthenin christianity and carrying on Jesus message of love, and do not fear. Paul loved and Paul never showed fear. I am excited about meeting him one day!
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
Silverleaf
Diagnosed on: Jan 2004
Diagnosed With: ILC

Postby Silverleaf » 04pm31America/New_York()

I am too. and no matter what he was going through he was content in all things and accepted all things without complaing. I need need a big dose of Paul lessons right now. He also said he was content whether he was hungry or full and I whine a lot when I am hungry. Yes, he must be quite a man.
Life is good and I intend to live it to the fullest
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 04pm31America/New_York()

:lol: silver, we all whine. Heck we whine when it takes McDonald's 2 minutes to give us our food. Let's face it, we are all very spoiled.

Paul never worried about himself or his well being, for his trust in the Lord was so much bigger than any situation he was in. I have mostly felt the exact same way about breast cancer. I would say that since being dx'd 2/1/08, I haven't worried about my "outcome". I figure either way I win. Of course I want to be around to aggravate my children, and to spend all my hubby's money, but being with Jesus is our ultimate goal anyway. :blink:
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Postby cheri » 07am31America/New_York()

The very hardest thing for me to do is "Let go and let God." I pray about something and I say I'm going to leave it up to Him...but it's no time at all til I'm right in there trying to fix things myself. I've been working on it but it's a slow process. I'm a worry wart and always have been, my daughter says I even worry about not having anything to worry about. LOL It's not that I don't trust Him, I do, but I cannot seem to turn things over to Him without sticking my nose back in it. I say I have faith in Him...but if that were true...wouldn't I be able to give him my biggest problems and believe He'll take care of things and let it go? Maybe my faith isn't strong enough.
Cheri
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 12pm31America/New_York()

Cheri, some people think that "letting go and letting God" take care of it means that you don't have to do anything. Sometimes, it does. But sometimes, it also means that you have to continue to work in harmony with your prayers.

Say that you're having a hard time paying bills, making ends meet, because you lost your job. It doesn't mean that you stay home and quit looking for a job. But you pray that you will find one remembering that God cares for you more than birds or flowers. You have to stop stressing about it, not working on the problem.

Sometimes, it is about just walking away ....... from injustice done, from a bad relationship, from a website, even --- let God deal with it.

You can't beat yourself up about being confused .. you might try praying about God allowing your mind and heart to "settle", ask him to help you stop being anxious. It's not easy, believe me. Here are some scriptures to reflect on: Matt 6:31, Philippians 4:6, John 14:27-31, Luke 12:22-30 and 21:34
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 12pm31America/New_York()

Cheri ... wow, here is an article I found online ...

Dealing with Anxiety: 7 Keys to Peace and Joy

Though this time of year is known as the season of peace and joy, for many it is the season of anxiety. Anxiety is the complete absence of peace and joy. Which most accurately describes your view of the holiday season?

Jesus promises His people peace and joy. His promise of peace is in John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” And His promise of joy is in John 17:13, where He prayed to the Father, “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.”

Notice in both verses the promise is of Jesus’ own peace and joy, not as the world gives. So why do so many Christians live lives full of anxiety?—because they look to the wrong source. Worldly peace and joy comes only from the circumstances of life. In other words, when our circumstances are good we have joy and are at peace. When our circumstances are bad we loose both peace and joy. But Jesus’ promise is of divine peace and joy. So what is the key to receiving this divine peace and joy?

Our apostle Paul instructs us in Phil. 4:4 to, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”

Paul, having suffered immensely, understood that we would have a tendency to look to our circumstances or other people for peace and joy. Notice how our apostle directs our attention back to the only Source of true peace and joy; “Rejoice in the Lord always.” Notice particularly the word “always”. Since we find our rejoicing in “the Lord”, we can rejoice always, for He is always worthy. And our position in Him is always something in which to rejoice regardless of our circumstances. Life’s circumstances cannot “always” produce peace and joy. But if Jesus is the object and source of our peace and joy, we can have it “always”.

In order to maintain peace and joy, Paul gives the following directive in verses 6-7. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Continuing in un-confessed sin or becoming anxious over life robs us of God’s peace and the joy of salvation. This happened to David after his sins of adultery and murder. In His prayer to God he asked, “Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me” (Ps. 51:12).

David longed to have his relationship with the Lord restored. He knew the only way that was possible is through confession of his sin and the Lord’s forgiveness. Notice that David knew God must grant him a willing spirit to sustain him in a state of righteousness and right relationship with God. David knew that in his own strength he could not sustain these. He saw what he was capable of apart from God—adultery and murder.

David practiced Paul’s instruction long before Paul was born, for it is a timeless truth of God. We see David taking his anxiety to God in Ps. 139:23, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts”. David believed God would take his anxiety away and he would be at peace.

Let’s take a closer look at how to maintain peace and joy, from Eph. 6-7. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

The first thing to note is that “the peace of God” offered in verse 7 comes from believing and obeying verse 6. God tells us, “Do not be anxious about anything”. Living with worry and stress reveals that we don’t trust God with our lives. We are trying to control things ourselves. The presence of anxiety is proof that we have not let go. Since God is sovereign over all the affairs of the universe, His command is not to be anxious about “anything”. Coming to believe that God has absolutely everything under His control is the foundation of trust. And trust is the foundation of peace.

Rather than being anxious about “anything”, God admonishes us to bring “everything” to Him “by prayer and petition”. God tells us in James 4:2 that, “You do not have, because you do not ask God.” So long as we take matters into our own hands, why should we expect the peace and joy of God?

Notice in verse 6 that you “present your requests to God”. The key word here is “requests”. It’s God’s prerogative how He answers our prayers. Therefore, we must present them as “requests” not demands. Once we accept God’s wisdom and sovereignty, we can make nothing more than a request. Considering His infinite wisdom and love for us, why would we want to dictate how He answers our prayers? Can we instruct God in a better way of handling the affairs of our life?

The last key to maintaining the peace and joy of God is gratitude. Notice we are to bring our requests with an attitude of “thanksgiving”. Often we don’t receive what we ask of the Lord because we are not grateful for what we already have. In fact, in times of anxiety we are most ungrateful. Anxiety is the product of things not going our way or us not getting what we want. This is a state of ingratitude. When we realize that we already have far more than we need or deserve, we then become thankful.

To sum up, here are the 7 keys to living in the peace and joy of God:

1. Examine your self for sin. Confess it and ask God for forgiveness before presenting any other requests.

2. Count your blessings regularly, especially during times of anxiety. You already have more than you need or deserve, so live with an attitude of gratitude.

3. Reflect often on who you are in Christ. Remember where you came from and what you were without Him. This will keep you both humble and grateful.

4. Believe God is sovereign, all-powerful, all knowing, and that He loves you. Though it may not seem like it to you, He does have your best interest at heart.

5. Take everything to God as a request not a demand.

6. Trust Him completely with the outcome, and be content with the way He handles your request.

7. Remember, He will work everything out to your ultimate good.

Are you allowing the anxiety of life or some besetting sin to rob you of the Lord’s peace and joy? Take it all to the Lord and let Him heal you.
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 26am31America/New_York()

So I dont know about everyone else, but it seems like I find my self in more "poop" when minding my own business (a.k.a. MMOB). Does anyone else seem to find that to be true?

For example:

I was MMOB when I get a phone call from another gym owner in the area (whom I hadn't spoken with in about 4 years) telling me all kinds of stuff about another gym owner. Then, not more than an hour later, the OTHER gym owner is calling me doing the same about owner #1.....This happened a couple years ago and things got ugly between the two of them, I stayed out of it, but they both felt it necessary to "keep me updated"........

O how about the time when I was training a client, MMOB, when a guest comes in the door to see the facility. Well the guest goes to leave, kicks the door (by accident) FALLS down outside (and he was an "older" gentleman), then gets up telling me he hoped I had "good insurance"! WTHeck? I was MMOB!!! AND he broke my glass door! Fortunately I haven't heard anything from him....

Or, I had just gotten home from work, MMOB, when the phone rings. It is my gyno telling me something suspicious showed in my routine mammo and he had me seeing a surgeon in two days..........

Anyway, it still amazes me how "poop" happens when we are MOOB. If we were "busy bodies" or "trouble makers" when trouble comes knocking, it wouldn't be a surprise.

On the other hand, how many of us have AWESOME things happen to us when we are MOOB? I sure have had many good things happen too.

Back when I first opened the gym, it was such a struggle. I didn't want all these new clients to think anything was wrong, so I just kept smiling and kept training. Then out of the blue, one of them came to me with a check for $20,000+ for me to use to keep things going..........OMGosh, are you kidding me? It was to be repaid to, get this, a church in a different city, in my own time, with my own terms, with a 4 year grace period before the first payment!!!!

I am sure we all have praises just like this or even better.

Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about people in the Bible. The first one that comes to mind is Noah.

Noah is MHOB when God comes to him. It is now on Noah to "be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth." No easy task for 8 people! And God establishes His covenant with Noah to never flood the whole earth again.

Then there is Abraham, who is MHOB, and God establishes the EVER lasting covenant through him to save ALL mankind through out the ages.

I can't help but wonder if these two ever stressed out about the incredible responsibility laid on them. I wonder if they ever even realized the magnitude of these covenants.

So, I am going to begin this new study of various people in the Bible and how while MTOB, things good and bad that has happened to them.

I hope that people reading will share also.
gina56
Cancer Stage: IIIa
Node Status: 6/25
Tumor Size: 2cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER-

Postby gina56 » 26pm31America/New_York()

Emerald, Just from my own vantage point, I think that people, in the past who have had an important impact on the future most likely were just MTHOB because that was what they did and not realizing what God's plan was didn't know that they needed to stress out over the task before them. Like today is the history of the future.
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 27am31America/New_York()

Gina, I so totally agree with you! Abraham, Isaac, David, Peter, and Paul just to name a few had no idea the impact thier lives would have today and will continue to have. Or Sarah, Rebecca, Mary, Elizabeth. They just lived their lives, doing God's call but without the "revelation" of what a big deal it was. They were just like "hmmm, ok"

Sometimes I have that kind of faith and sometimes I dont
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 30am30America/New_York()

Faith

Abraham had faith enough to leave his home land in search for the promised land. Genesis 12

Moses had faith enough to go up against Pharoah and lead Israel out of Egypt Genesis 3:11 - 15

I cant even count the number of times Moses' faith is shown throughout the scriptures....Ex 4:20, Ex 6:30, 7:20, 8:20, 9:1, 9:13, 10:1, and all through the first five books of the Bible

Joshua had the faith to cross the Jordon River as God commanded Deut 1:5 - 18

Gideon had faith enough to go up against the Midianites with only 300 men, as God commanded him to. Judges 6:7 - 7:25

The Bible is full of examples of people having complete and total faith that God was God, He knows all, He does everything for good, His love is never failing and His grace is never ending.

In all the great faiths shown, all were met with reservation. Every single person God called on responded with basically "What? Are you kidding? How?" attitudes. Our doubt that God has things under control goes back to the beginning of time and yet, God still forgives us, and He knows we are going to doubt.

But in the end, we MUST have faith that when life throws a curve ball (cancer, job, divorce, etc) God has it under control and His plan is always the best!

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him : for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Joshua 23:8 "But you shall hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have done to this day."

We MUST resolve to hold on to Him no matter the circumstances. Our devotion must be stronger than our fear of the unknown.

He has proven over and over to me that when a trial is over, I am in a better place. I can breathe and say "everything happened just as it was suppose to happen, and PRAISE God for it!"
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 12pm31America/New_York()

So I have started a study on David and want to share it here too.

I started back to the time when David first is mentioned in the bible: 1 Samuel 15 is where the story begins. God has called Samuel to go an annoint a new king for Israel. Saul has turned his heart away from God, gotten all caught up in the world and not his Savior. God didn't take to kindly to this either, so God turned away from Saul.

In summary, God had annointed Saul as king over Israel, instructed Saul to attack and kill the Amalekites. He was to kill "man and woman, infant, nursing child, ox, sheep, camel, and donkey". (1 Sam 15) But Saul spared Agag and kept the best sheep, oxen, lambs, and everything else he thought was good. He got greedy and ignored God to fulfill his own desires.

Anyway, God sends Samuel to Jesse, David's dad, where God reveals David to Samuel as Israel's next king.

I had forgotten that David played the harp. It was this talent that God used to bring Saul and David together. Remember that David was the youngest of Jesse's sons, he is a shepard, and by all accounts, appears to be a fairly reserved young lad.

The story of David, the harp and Saul is beautiful and I hope you will take a moment to read it. It is very short: 1 Samuel 16: 14 - 23

For me, the thing that "stuck out" the most in this story was just how miserable Saul was when he no longer served God. I think Saul realized why he was so miserable, but he didn't get it that he needed to turn back to God. He looked to David to make him feel better. Perhaps he didnt have the faith that God would forgive him if he repented?

Boy, how things still havent changed! Instead of looking to God, we too look to things or people to make us feel better!

This story will continue......................
GingerSnap
Forum Moderator

Postby GingerSnap » 13pm30America/New_York()

Mark 8:27 And Jesus went on with his disciples, to the villages of Caesare'a Philip'pi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that I am?"
28 And they told him, "John the Baptist; and others say, Eli'jah; and others one of the prophets."
29 And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ."
30 And he charged them to tell no one about him.
31 And he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
32 And he said this plainly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
33 But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter, and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men."
34 And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
35 For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.

That was today's Gospel.

I used to wonder why Jesus would call Peter Satan .. or refer to him as Satan. So, I looked it up and now often compare people in my mind to being "satans" ..

The original meaning of the word Satan means: resistor or opposer.

In the Garden of Eden, he was called the Satan because he was in opposition to God and his rules. Satan is a title rather than a name. The word Devil means liar.

I think it's interesting that we do not "honor" this wicked angel by using his name. When we use people's names we become friends with them. We don't call authorities by their name, we call them Mrs. Smith, the librarian, the elderly woman who makes pies, she is Mrs. Wiederman. We eat dinner with our friends and shop with them, we call them by their names. We call Satan what he is .. a liar and an opposer .. fitting names! Or rather fitting titles.

When a child lies, we can ask them, who are they like, the devil? Sometimes, its sad that calling children little devils has become "cute" .. or songs that say, "the devil inside" .. Knowing the orginal meanings can help us clean up our language and music in subtle ways that hopefully please God and remind us of how we should act and of who we are. Lying is not "cute" .. it started the whole system of anarchy that we are living in .. one where Satan is the "God of the system of things, (1 Cor 4:4) ... think about what we say and how we say it ...
:)
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 24am30America/New_York()

I am such a slacker! I havent even been on this site for a month! No excuse, I havent even been on bc.org! Just havent been in the mood to post and read. Not in a bad mood, or sad mood, just been in the mood to do other things.

:what:
Pat
Cancer Stage: IIA
Node Status: 0/?
Tumor Size: 4cm
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2+

Postby Pat » 24am30America/New_York()

And it is a wonderful thing that you have been too busy living life to post.
Mimi2
Forum Moderator

Postby Mimi2 » 24pm30America/New_York()

I'm just glad to see ya! Been wondering about you. And how is that beau-ti-ful daughter of yours doing? I hope really well! And my doggy? Where's my doggy?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 24pm30America/New_York()

Well, my baby girl is doing great. She has been in school full days since it started, has gained all her weight back, and is back in dance again.

She suffers from headaches everyday but for the most part, she handles them very well. Sometimes they make her throw-up, but other than that, she is great.

Now since you asked about your puppy, I am obligated to post a pic:

Now I am gonna go post more over on the "breed all about it" thread.

Return to “Biblical Proportions”