Bible Study for the Biblically Challenged?

Bible studies and connecting with other believers
Emerald
Site Admin
Diagnosed on: 02/01/2008
Diagnosed With: IDC
Secondary Diagnosis: DCIS
Mets: None
Cancer Stage: Stage I
Node Status: 0/3
Tumor Size: 1.3cm
Tumor Grade: Grade 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER2/Neu++

Bible Study for the Biblically Challenged?

Postby Emerald » 19pm28America/New_York()

First let me say that I have been blessed to have been raised in a christian home. My father was a minister so I grew up in church. Of course I "strayed", sowed my "wild oats" from about 16 to 21, but as God's word promises, "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 God kept His promise to my parents and I have raised my children in church, and He will keep this same promise to me also.

I truly believe that God has laid on my heart to start a bible study here on this website. I have spent this whole year doing my own indepth study and the Lord has revealed so much to me that I have never seen before. The bible is so much more amazing than I could have ever imagined! I have discovered so much and I have been praying for a way to share with others, as well as have others show me things I have yet to see.

I have known for sometime now that He has been preparing me for something and I have been deligently seeking His will and praying for Him to use me. I believe with all my heart now that this is where He wants me to start.

I am especially hoping that anyone who is not a christian, but looking for some answers will come here and ask questions and see how wonderful our Savior is. I would also love to have "new believers" and believers who have never really spent much time in God's word do the same. The fun thing is we will never run out of things to discuss and learn!

What I was thinking is that maybe anyone could request a subject or topic and just have God show us all there is to know. And of course I would love for everyone to submit their areas of interest or expertise too! We can spend as much or as little time as we want on each one, we can even come back to them over time as often as we want.

Here are some subjects I have studied indepth and have really good notes and references on:

Salvation - EVERYTHING about it, how to have it, how to know you have it, what do you have to do to "keep" it, Where each race came from, Noah to Abraham, Abraham to Moses, History of the Jewish people, History of the Gentiles, Each of the 12 tribes of Israel, Jesus lineage both Mary and Joseph, OT Prophecies of the coming Messiah and how Jesus fills each one,

These are just some thoughts as ALL subjects are so interesting and welcome. I pray that others will join in here and see what God reveals to us!
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
cheri
Diagnosed on: Nov. '05
Cancer Stage: Stage 11B
Node Status: 3/11
Tumor Size: 1 cm
Tumor Grade: Unknown
Receptor Status: ER/PR+ HER-
My Bio: Lumpectomy, Breast Reduction, TAC Chemo, 35 Rads, Arimidex

Re: Bible Study for the Biblically Challenged?

Postby cheri » 04am31America/New_York()

I think I would like to discuss some issues later on. After I get more comfortable here and more acquainted with you. I am not religeous as far as going to church but I did as a child. And I am a believer...just not sure about what my beliefs really amount to. I pray...alot. I would like to talk though...I think. Just give me some time. Do I sound confused? Oh yeah.
Cheri
VoiceOfReason
Diagnosed With: DCIS
Cancer Stage: 1
Tumor Grade: 3
Receptor Status: ER-, PR-. HER +++

Postby VoiceOfReason » 04pm31America/New_York()

I would definitely like to participate.
Make America [color=#0040FF]GREAT AGAIN !!![/color]
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 04pm31America/New_York()

cheri good news is I am not "religious" either. I am just a believer, I believe the Bible is God's word, I LOVE studying it. The thing I love the most is every time I read it, I get a whole new meaning!

There are so many places to start. I have started a "Revelations" series because my pastor did it the month of December and it was sooooo interesting. I have his sermon on line and my notes that I took, plus the scripture references so you can read and see how God speaks to you through the same scriptures!

We can also start with Genesis, Abraham/Sarah/Isaac or any book or topic.

Does anyone have a place they would like to start? If not I am going to start with Revelations so all I am on the same subject here that I am on another forum.

Comments?
"I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty, I am just thankful to have a glass!"
gina56
Cancer Stage: IIIa
Node Status: 6/25
Tumor Size: 2cm
Tumor Grade: 2
Receptor Status: ER+/PR+/HER-

Postby gina56 » 04pm31America/New_York()

Emerald, I've always had a fascination for Revelations. I haven't been an avid reader of the bible, but I've been wanting to do some bible study. I skimmed your thread over on bc.org and was very interested in the discussions.
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 05am31America/New_York()

Very cool Gina, thanks for the encouragement! Well I am going to start with Revelations because it is so interesting! And if you are a believer it is not scary! :D If you are not a believer, I pray you will read here, God's desire is fall ALL to come to know Him and call on Him to save us!

I am going to start a seperate topic thread titled "Revelations" so we can keep things somewhat "organized". PLUS if someone wants a different topic, they, or I can start a topic thread on it too. I don't mind having more than one study going on at the same time. :P
gina56

Postby gina56 » 05am31America/New_York()

Emerald, that sounds great. I went through that whole 'I believe in God, but I don't really need to go to church' thing when I was younger. My mil was a very devout Catholic and had a special devotion to the Blessed Mother. She contributed much to the epiphany I had later in my life, which was actually only about 13 years ago. I was born and raised Catholic, but I've had my share of wondering what I, my soul, needed. As I said , I had an epiphany, but I've been kinda wandering around aimlessly without a lot of direction. I've been wanting to attend the scripture studies that are offered by my church, but because of time and transportation problems have not been able to attend any. This will be good for me. Thanks.

Gina
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 05pm31America/New_York()

gina, I think everyone at some point in their lives feel like they dont need church. The sad thing is, it can be hard to find a church full of Christ loving people with a pastor that has truly been annointed by the Holy Spirit. So many people get hurt by the actions of people in church and it really turns people off.

One thing I love so much about my church, is it is full of the most loving, caring, praying people you could ever meet. We average 1000+ every sunday, but I swear it feels like 100 because everyone knows and loves on everyone.

I was Methodist all my life until I was 30yrs old. My hubby is baptist and he always used that as an excuse to not go to church with me. We moved about 15 yrs ago and I took that opportunity to look for a baptist church so that he would have no excuse...didnt work, but I fell in love with the people there and decided to join. About 3 1/2 yrs ago, it came time for me to find a new church. Not for bad reasons, just God was leading me somewhere else. And the most awesome part is that my husband has been going with me every since. He now LOVES sunday school and church. :P I am still always in contact with my other pastor and members all the time.

Anyway, I tell you all of this because you mentioned you were catholic. But the cool thing about the bible is that it is non-denominational. :D So while I may be baptist, and while I may not be familiar with catholic doctrine, I am very familiar with God's word and that is what I want to study with as many as would like to with me. :D

I am just glad you are going to join in here and I pray that God uses me to witness to others. I pray that I NEVER forget this is really His thread, and He is allowing me to do it for Him.

Have you read the Revelation thread yet? If you have any questions, please let me know and if you would rather start some where else, let me know because I can do more than one topic at the time.

Love ya and praying for you and all the other wonderful people here on this forum!
gina56

Postby gina56 » 05pm31America/New_York()

Emerald, I popped over to the Revelations thread earlier today. I want ot do a little reading. I have a problem wrapping my head around a lot of this sometimes. I'm sure I'll have some questions I just have to figure out what they are. :)
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 17am31America/New_York()

At bc.org one of the ladies there posted some EXCELENT questions. Some that so many people wuld like to ask but are afraid to. Because they were so important, I am posting the questions with my personal responses here for feedback/discussion ?

Here goes:

What I have been taught was that Jesus was born to Mary, Joseph was not the father, God was. When he reached his 30s he began to wonder the land and talk about God, healing people/miracles to show he had special abilities from God.

People gave him a hard time, eventually he was nailed to a cross and died. Put in a grave/cave, later the ladies came to see the grave and the body was gone. We are told that he went to heaven (how do we know) where he helps God judge others.

If Jesus is the human form of God, why do we need to accept Jesus specifically and not the trinity as a whole. What is it that we are accepting or acknowledging. How can really good people who care for others, serving God not be accepted into heaven if they do not specifically accept Jesus as (fill in the blank)?

Well I just want you both to know, I certainly did not take this question lightly. In fact, I have spent over 3 hours in my Bible, but I LOVE doing that, so

So here I go: Salvation Through Jesus Christ

Jesus has been the flesh form of God since the earth was made: Gen 1:26-27; John 1:14; 1Tim 3:16

God lets us know in the O.T. that He is coming to us in the flesh: Isaiah 7:14 - 16; 9:6 - 7; Malachi 3:1

Salvation through Jesus Christ was established in the O.T. start as early as: Gen 3:15

He is recognized as the Savior as an infant and in His childhood: Luke 2:30 - 32; 2:40

Began witnessing at age 12: Luke 2: 41 - 50

Jesus resurrection was witnessed as He walked from Jerusalem to Damascus by over 500 people, for 40 days and recorded 23 times in the N.T.: 1 Cor 15:6 & Acts 1:3

His resurrection is our assurance of life everlasting. If He does not conquer the grave, then how can we possibly conquer it.

The whole purpose of His coming was to be our Savior: Isaiah 35:4; 45:22

It was established back in the O.T. that we can not come into the presence of God Almighty because we are of sin. He can not be where sin is, except in flesh form. (Leviticus is an excellent book of the Bible that tells of how we are to come before God) So we must come through Jesus - God in the Flesh.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly is we are to live by faith.

Romans 1:16 - 17 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, ‘The just shall live by faith.'"

Established through Jesus Christ:

Romans 5: 8 - 11 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement."

In closing, the Bible is full of why Jesus came to earth in the first place. To give His life for us so that we too will have life everlasting. If we are not to call on Jesus, then His crucifixion was for nothing, meant nothing, and does nothing.

It is easier to understand my only way to God is through Him in flesh form-Jesus- accepting Him as my savior, than to try and figure out a "justification" for not accepting Him, that there "should" be more than one way to Him, there "must" be more than one way to Heaven.

If this were true, why bother to send Jesus to do all He has done. Sin wouldn't matter, there would be no consequence for not believing, it would have been in vain and totally useless.

And I lose NOTHING by accepting Jesus as my Savior, but if I dont, and die and see that the bible is true, then it is too late, and I lose everything.
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 17am31America/New_York()

Here were a few more questions and my personal responses (I dont like to refer to it as my "answers" because I do not have the answers, I can only help guide others to their own answers)

1. What sins did Jesus willingly die for?

Sin: The origin of sin is a mystery, and will remain a mystery to us. For some reason God has permitted sin to enter this world.

Deuteronomy 29:29 "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law."

God has us on a "need to know" basis, because He wants us to have faith - the primary idea is to trust.
Adam's sin (Gen 3:1-6) consisted of his giving in to temptation and eating the forbidden fruit.

It involved (1) the sin of unbelief, and (2) the guilt of disobedience.

Sins listed: Galatians 5:19-21, Romans 1:29, in addition to the Ten Commandments (Ex 20:1 - 17) pretty well covers them all.
cheri

Postby cheri » 17am31America/New_York()

Now wait a minute here. Jesus is the flesh form of God?? Hmm. What happened to the story of Jesus' birth? I was taught Jesus Christ is the son of God...now I'm hearing Jesus IS God? :?
Cheri
gina56

Postby gina56 » 17am31America/New_York()

Cheri, I'm not real clear on Emerald's reference to Jesus being God in the flesh, but I know from my own religous background, it was almost embedded in our brains in school, that God, the Father, Jesus, His Son, and the Holy Spirit are separate beings, but one in the same. I forget exactly what it is called. What comes to mind is "mystery of faith", but I know there is another name for it. (chemo brain inserted here).

Gina
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 17pm31America/New_York()

I want to say I LOVE questions like these. It is what makes my walk with God so much stronger because I get to dive into His word and share it with others.

This is also another reason I wanted to start a Bible thread, so that all of our walks with Christ will be strengthened. I think that everyone needs a place to post questions about the Bible, and God, and Jesus. I will never "declare" that I have the ANSWERS, but I will "declare" that I will do all I can to help you find your own answers. In fact, I would be honored to help guide anyone, because in turn, I too am guided!

Jesus IS God, in the flesh. The Trinity consists of "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit": Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

These three "entities" are wrapped up into one: 1John 5:7 “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.”

I tell my kids to think of it like I am Karen the wife, Karen the mother, Karen the daughter. I am still the same person, but each "role" has different responsibilities. Each One in the Trinity has different roles.

Consider Gen 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." The plural use "us" and "our" show already that God in more than one entity. Not more than one God, just more than one "part" of Him.

John 1:1-3 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made." This verse establishes that Jesus was there at the creation of the universe, and He made all things.

Now, look a bit further: John 1:14-15 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John bare witness of Him, and cried, saying, This was He of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for He was before me." John was physically born first, but he refers to Jesus being here before him. John understood exactly who Jesus was.

This clearly establishes that the Word comes to earth to dwell among us. God DID come to live among us through Jesus Christ.

Go a little deeper into John: John 14:7 – 11 “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also: and from now on you know Him, and have seen Him. Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say,’ Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me, does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the sake of the works' themselves.”

Other scriptures that continue to verify John's writings and recognizing again the Trinity:

Tim 3:16 "God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

1John 5:7 “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

So to sum it all up:

God the Father: He made the universe, it is all His, He made man in His image (Rem Genesis 1:26), His word calls for the father to be the head of the house hold, so God is our Father. The prophets refer to "God the Father" many times in the scripture.

God the Son: Jesus is the son of Mary, the "step" son of Joseph, the Son of God through Mary.

[color=#FF0040]God the Holy Spirit: This one is pretty easy too and the bible is full of references to the Spirit of God or the Holy Ghost. This is the entity that cannot be seen or heard but certainly felt.

BUT, I of course would not want you to take my word for it, so please look up these verses. I will be happy to provide even more verses if you would like. :razz:
Mimi2
Forum Moderator
Cancer Stage: Unknown
Node Status: Unknown
Tumor Size: Unknown
Receptor Status: Unknown

Postby Mimi2 » 17pm31America/New_York()

I would love to join in later. You're doing a good job, Karen.
Shirley
Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left".
gina56

Postby gina56 » 17pm31America/New_York()

Emerald, That's incredible. That is a great analogy. I went through 12 years of Catholic schools and none of my teachers ever explained the Holy Trinity that plainly.

Gina
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 17pm31America/New_York()

Well, gina, I wish I could take credit for all that, but I am not that smart! LOL :shh: Let's just say, one day I was "challenged" about this very subject, and was embarrased that I could not give solid responses.

Soooooo, God opened my eyes to His Word in a whole new way and just gave me the words I needed to help others. The most important thing was Him revealing all this in the scriptures, that had been there all along, I just alway took it for granted, and never educated myself with the proof.

Now I am much better at finding every answer to every question I have ever had right there in His word!

So if it has helped anyone, then PRAISE God!!!! :D

P.S. Ophelia, Well said! I think it always helps others understand, when others share things God gave them to help understand it. :blink:
cheri

Postby cheri » 18pm31America/New_York()

How did I live 51 yrs and not know this? What happened to "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son.." Something like that. hmm. So God is actually Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost?
Cheri
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 19pm31America/New_York()

Yes Cheri, God is three entities all wrapped up into one huge entity.

Let's look at the word begotten:

Begotten is the past participle for beget and beget means: Bring a child into existence....; give rise to, bring about. So God "brought about" or "gave existence to" or "rose up" Himself, in human form.

Now let's look at the word son: of course the obvious is a boy or man in relation to either or both of his parents, a male descendant, male offspring. But if you keep reading you will see son is also a man considered in relation to his native country or area; used by an elder person as a form of address for a boy or young man. So see, the term son, is not explicitly an offspring. Jesus isn't an "offspring" of God, we are. Jesus, is God as a boy and young man, native of His country or area(Heaven).

Now of course He could have merely shown up on earth at any age at any time. In fact, God does appear before Abraham, Moses, and Jacob. But, that wouldn't be nearly as "miraculous" or "impossible" as a virgin birth.

In addition, remember God formed us in His image, both male and female, and His plans for bringig more humans into the world was to do so through our own reproduction, otherwise, we would be no more than puppets for Him. So the whole idea was to have a baby, nurse it, help it grow into an adult, etc.

So perhaps (because this is how I "interpret" His actions, but I could be so totally wrong)His desire is to show us that we are infact made in His image, from the miracle of birth, all the way to the grave. And the most important part is the resurrection, solidifying life AFTER death.

Only God could do all of this. And Praise God He did!
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 19pm31America/New_York()

These are some questions that were asked at the bc.org thread and my responses to them. See you guys are not the only ones that didn't have a clear understanding of the Trinity. Most people don't.

What do I need to believe about Jesus, and what happens if I do?
John 7:38, Acts 16:31, Romans 7:24, Romans 6:17, Eph 2:4 - 9,

(I want you to look them up, but if anyone reading doesn't have direct access to a bible, please let me know and I will be happy to post the scripture here.)

Here is the rest of my post over there:

And lastly John 8:19 Jesus tells us if we know Him then we know our Father.

See Jesus is God, and if one doesn't believe in Jesus, how can one then say they believe in God? For it is much more of faith to say "Yes, I beleive in Jesus Christ, Son of God, God in the flesh". Millions of people say "I believe in God." But what does that mean? Does it mean they believe in a higher power?

If so, this "higher power" in infinite wisdom and strength, who can flood the whole earth, part the Red Sea, turn a rod into a serpent and back again, cause plagues in Egypt, feed 5000 with 5 loaves of bread, rain manna from Heaven to feed the children of Israel, tumble the Wall of Jericho, save 3 men from the burning furnace, hide Lot from the soldiers, protect Jonah in the belly of the whale,TAKE A TINY GRAIN OF NOTHING AND MAKE THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE, yet believe that He can't become flesh and walk amoung us? Believe that God has the power to save us from death, from the grave with the promise of a place called Heaven, which BTW, we HAVE NOT seen, but He can't come in the flesh that 1000's DID see and touch and hear and smell?

If one denies ONE miracle, they deny them all when it pertains to God. Why would God give us the Bible, His word, that was compounded over centuries by many, many prophets, yet NEVER changed, only to be "making up" the part about becoming flesh and dwelling here?

SO........believing in Jesus, IS believing in God, but to deny Jesus, is to deny God.
gina56

Postby gina56 » 19pm31America/New_York()

As a Christian, I accept Jesus and I believe in the Trinity, but the Jews don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. Where does this leave them as far as their salvation and entrance into heaven? Their bible consists of only the Old Testament. Do you think that the second coming of Christ will be their first? Does that sound dumb?

Gina
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 20am31America/New_York()

No, it doesn't sound dumb at all to ask if His second coming will be what they consider the "first" coming.

Before I tell you what I have learned from the scriptures, I want to tell you that I have several really good friends that are Jewish and I pray for them all the time that they will come to know and accept Jesus as their Savior.

Mark 16:16: "He who believes and is baptised will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Revelations 7 tells us that after the rapture, 144,000 of the children of Israel will then come to accept Christ and will be "sealed" with a sign on their foreheads. This is because they will then see that this is infact the second coming of Christ and not the first.

I pray for salvation for my friends, that they too will come to know Jesus.
cheri

Postby cheri » 21am31America/New_York()

Emerald, I downloaded the EveningDew software and every morning it pops up with a scripture, I haven't gotten into the reading yet, are we to believe in the Old Testament as well as the New Testament, becaue it just loaded the old. Yes...I am biblically challenged in the worst way.
Cheri
Emerald
Site Admin

Postby Emerald » 21pm31America/New_York()

We are to believe the entire Bible, both old and new. Evening Dew has both Old and New.

To select from the New Testament look in the top left hand corner where you will see the menu of "File" "edit" "References" etc and just below that is a drop down box with the default being "Old Testament". Click the arrow and the New Testament is the next option.
cheri

Postby cheri » 28pm31America/New_York()

Thank you, Emerald.
Cheri

Return to “Biblical Proportions”